It’s happened to most dog owners—you head to the kitchen to make a quick peanut and butter and jelly sandwich, only to find your dog salivating at your feet. You can’t resist, and give your pup a spoonful of peanut butter.
But is it safe for your Doodle to eat peanut butter? The short answer is yes, but be careful about ingredients, as well as how much you give them.
Here, we’ll tell you what you need to know before you feed your pup a spoonful of peanut butter.
Peanut butter is a favorite of just about every dog breed, and Doodles are no exception.
And, in most cases, this addiction is a good thing. Peanut butter can be an excellent snack for dogs. It’s jammed packed with a range of nutrients such as vitamins B and E, protein, and healthy fats.
But one problem with peanut butter is that many brands are also full of sodium. Humans can handle these higher levels of sodium without many issues. However, it’s a bit harder on your dog’s body. A few spoonfuls won’t be a problem, but regular consumption can cause health issues for your pup.
If you are planning on feeding your Doodle peanut butter as a regular part of its diet (or you’re wondering can puppies have peanut butter or not), then make sure you choose a peanut butter that is low in sodium. This will make it safer to eat in larger volumes and as a regular part of your dog’s healthy diet.
One of the benefits of peanut butter, both for dogs and humans, is how nutrient dense it is. This is a great thing, on the condition that you are careful about how much you eat.
Peanut butter is rich in healthy fats, which are an essential part of your dog’s diet. However, fats are very calorie dense. If you give your dogs too much peanut butter, you could be put them at risk of obesity as well as a wide range of other health issues that come with it.
Many brands of peanut butter are also high in sugar. If you feed too much to your dog, you could risk obesity and issues with oral health. Dogs simply don’t need much sugar in their diet. Try to choose a brand that has no added sugar.
There are many excellent, all-natural brands of peanut butter out there. Unfortunately, there are also many that are packed with added sugar and artificial sweeteners. One sweetener in particular should never find its way into your pup’s peanut butters: xylitol.
This is used as an artificial sweetener in a wide range of products. And for humans, it appears to be relatively safe. For dogs, however, it can be quite toxic.
When xylitol enters a dog’s body, it stimulates a quick release of insulin, which breaks down sugar in the body. This wave of insulin can drop your dog’s blood sugar levels to dangerously low levels, a condition known as hypoglycemia.
Low levels of xylitol consumption are toxic for dogs, but not lethal. However, long term consumption of xylitol can have a serious impact on your pup’s health. Fortunately, checking for xylitol is easy. Just look at the ingredient list of the products that your dog eats.
And if you think that your dog may have consumed xylitol, contact your vet right away. Symptoms may include wobbly legs, weakness, and confusion.
With all of these warnings in mind, peanut butter is still an excellent choice for your dog, and can be a great addition to its regular diet.
And do you need a pup to help you work your way through all of that peanut butter? Head to our puppy finder page to find your dream companion.
Find the Perfect Puppy