Your Shopping Checklist For New Doodle Puppies
Bringing a new Doodle pup into your life is exciting!
Use this checklist of essentials and nice-to-haves to make the first few months with your puppy as easy and hassle-free as possible.
This list isn’t all-encompassing, but it should be enough to get you through a majority of situations you’ll face with your new puppy.
- Paper towels…lots of them
- Old towels for your puppy crate
- Blanket or towels to cover your pup’s crate and make it feel more like a den
- Canned pumpkin (100% pure, NOT pumpkin pie filling), can help alleviate diarrhea when you give a tablespoon or two with every meal for a couple days
- Baby gates with narrow, vertical bars
Basic Pet Supplies
- Odor and stain neutralizer
- Bitter apple to deter your pup from licking or chewing things
- Pooper-scooper (with bags!)
- Stainless steel or ceramic food and water bowls
- Dry food storage container
- Adjustable collar, which can be upgraded to a quality leather collar once your pup is done growing
- An ID tag with your contact information
- Standard leash, around 6 feet
- Training leash, 15 feet or longer
- Crate for potty/crate training
Food and Treats
- Food! Remember to use our food grading guide to give your puppy the best of the best.
- Training treats—preferably organic ones. There are tons of options available, and you should choose treats based on similar criteria to how you grade and choose your pup’s food.
Toys and Chews
- Kong toys
- Stuffed toys with squeakers
- Squeaky rubber balls
- Rope toys
- Chew toys (rotate these so your dog isn’t always using the same one)
- Cow ears
- Rake brush, pin/slicker brush
- Medium-toothed comb
- Blunt-tipped, curved blade scissors
- Conditioner or grooming spray
- Ear wash solution
- Plier nail clippers with nail guard
- Potty bells to alert you when your dog has to do their business outside
- Emergency vet contact information
- Contact information for obedience classes or puppy training apps
And last but certainly not least, have patience with your new little friend. With a little structure and dedication, your goofy little Doodle puppy will soon be a well-trained, well-adjusted, healthy adult Doodle who will give you love and companionship for years to come.
If you’ve felt like any portion of this packet was lacking or that you still have questions about your new puppy, don’t hesitate to contact us! We’re always looking to improve the Uptown experience and do whatever we can to make life with your new Doodle as rewarding as we possibly can.